Friday, May 4, 2007

Attention hp and compaq laptop users!

Just wanted to let anyone who has a newer hp or compaq laptop (such as an hp dv6000 series like I do or a dvwhatever) that MEPIS linux, available at www.mepis.org, may be the distribution for you.

Like many others (judging from several linux usergroups I've perused) I've had some frustrating problems getting linux to use my built in broadcom 4311 wireless. MEPIS had no problem whatsoever using the broadcom- it even worked using the liveCD with ABSOLUTELY NO EFFORT on my part!

One other cool thing to check out is beryl, which also comes installed and working right out of the box (the figurative, virtual box, of course.) It does all sorts of cool eye-candy type stuff like wobbly windows, transparency and multiple desktops on a cube. It's sure to make your vista-using friends jealous.

1 comment:

LT said...

http://sitemeter.sitetoolbox.com/

there are others too. but this one seems good